Insurers must come up with some justification for denying your disability benefits claim — if their justification has no reasonable basis, then you should appeal the denial or pursue a lawsuit to recover your benefits.
Common justifications for a claim denial include:
- Lapse of coverage
- Material misrepresentations in the original insurance application
- Insufficient evidence of disability
- Application of a coverage exclusion
- Disability is tied to a pre-existing condition
- Failure to seek ongoing medical treatment